Colrain Central School is an educational community that places the highest value on our students, our staff, and our community. Working together, we endeavor to instill high expectations, independence, creativity, and a strong sense of community within our students.
Statement of Philosophy
At Colrain Central, we take care of ourselves, each other, our school, and the world around us. Everything we do is tied to these ideals.
The mission of the Colrain Central School is to work together in a safe, welcoming environment, to promote an education that pursues excellence, independence, and creativity while sustaining a sense of community.
At Colrain Central, our vision for our students is to move forward with the self-confidence to meet new challenges, to be good citizens, and to have the ability and desire to continually acquire new knowledge and skills.
A Shared Sense of Community
At Colrain Central, we work hard to ensure that all students feel welcome and safe. We have adopted the Responsive Classroom approach, which emphasizes academic, social, and emotional growth within a strong, supportive educational community. The goal: to engage students with challenging, interactive learning in a calm, orderly environment that encourages participation and collaboration.
We also hold regular all-school assemblies, gathering our entire school community to celebrate birthdays, enjoy musical performances, and share class presentations. And of course, our all-school checkers tournament is an annual favorite.
Connecting With Our Community
Colrain Central School boasts an active Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) that sponsors many social events throughout the year. And as part of a town rich in local history and lore, we also often invite town elders to share their perspectives and experiences. These visits broaden our students’ sense of community and reinforce their own place in Colrain’s continuing story.
- The students’ learning environment will be a safe, respectful, and healthy one in which students can thrive and be successful.
- The school and district will offer students a broad range of learning opportunities including English language arts, mathematics, science and technology, history and social sciences, related arts, athletics, and citizenships skills.
- Students will be taught by highly qualified staff as defined by NCLB and district standards. The school/district will hire and develop staff who exhibit great enthusiasm for their particular subject area(s) and inspire student learning through excellent teaching practices.
- Students will meet state and district learning standards based on the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks and the district curriculum.
- The school/district will maintain a culture that promotes communication, collaboration, and cooperation among students, staff, parents, and the wider community.